Thomas Richard Meux
Thomas Richard Meux was born in 1838 in Wesley, Haywood County, Tennessee, the son of John Oliver Meux and Anne Tuggle Meux.
Thomas Meux attended the University of Virginia and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in 1860 at the age of twenty-two.
In 1861, Dr. Meux enlisted as a private in the Ninth Tennessee Volunteer Regiment, Co. C, Maney's Co. Cheatham Division of the Confederate Army during the Civil War. He was at the battles of Shiloh, Murfeesborough and Atlanta. After four years as an assistant surgeon, he left the service as an assistant surgeon with the rank of Captain in 1865.
On June 3, 1874 he married Mary Ester Davis in Brownsville, Haywood County, Tennessee. They became the parents of John W., Mary D., and Anne Prenetta. Mrs. Meux was in poor health and on the advice of a brother, John P. Meux, who had moved to San Francisco in 1879, Dr. Meux decided to move his family to the Central Valley. In December, 1887, the Meux family registered at the Southern Pacific Hotel in Fresno.
Property in a prime residential area of the city, at the corner of Tulare and R Streets, was purchased by the doctor from the County of Fresno as a homesite in March, 1888, and the family moved into the house January, 1889.
Dr. Meux established his medical practice in 1889 and served the community as a physician until his retirement. He served as president of the Fresno County Medical Society in 1896 and was described as a staunch member of the Fresno County democratic Club and the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Thomas Meux and his brother, John, owned vineyards in the county and he maintained an active interest in agricultural affairs.
The Meux house was continuously occupied by the Meux family for a total of 81 years. Dr. Meux died at the age of 91 in 1929 and his daughter, Anne Prenetta Meux, died in 1970, having lived in the house since she was four years old.
The Fresno Bee (daily newspaper) heralded this occupancy as establishing the longest individual residence of one of Fresno's oldest wellings.
Mary Esther Davis Meux
The Daughter of John and Martha Core Davis, Mary Esther (Molly) was born in 1855 in Haywood County Tennessee. In 1874, she married Dr. Richard Meux, who served in the Confederate Army. Upon his return, he continued his practice of medicine and engaged in farming. They had three children: John, Mary, and Anne.
Mollie was in poor health attributed to the swampy condition of the area in which they lived. For this reason, they moved to Fresno in 1888. In later years, Mrs. Meux became both deaf and blind but the family communicated with her by means of a glove she wore with the letters of the alphabet on it. She could tell what words were being spelled out on it by where the pressure was applied.
The Meux family lived a quiet life. They were active in the Methodist Episcopal Church South and most of their activities centered on the growing family. With the aid of pattern books widely used at that time, Molly planned her home employing two skilled carpenters. She did go to San Francisco to shop for fabrics as none were available in Fresno.
She died in Fresno in 1922.
Anne Prenette Meux
The last occupant of the Meux Mansion, now a historical site, was Anne P. Meux, who lived in the gracious nineteenth century abode for most of her eighty-five years. Anne Prenette was born in Haywood County, Tennessee, May 14, 1885, and died in Fresno, November 22, 1970.
She and her sister Mary attended grammar school and Fresno Tech and then dutifully attended Miss Head's School for Girls in Berkeley. Later Anne learned all the amenities a cultured young lady should know by attending the Monticello College for Women in Godfrey, Illinois.
Not one to "sit around", Anne at the age of fifty-two, bought a black, sleek 1937 Buick and "put on" 80,000 miles in thirty-three years! Anne, a spinster, was not a recluse. She was one of the original members of the Fresno Relief Society and a lifetime member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. She remained an active member of the St. Paul's Methodist Church.
In a 1960 interview with Fresno Bee reporter George Popovich, Anne recalled: "We had phaetons and two-horse teams to go calling and surreys for family trips. Father had a one-horse buggy for his medical calls and trips to his ranch." Anne saw the arrival of the telephone, electricity, radio, television and rockets to the moon in her lifetime. She reminisced that when she was "just a kid", the Tulare and R streets were on the outskirts of Fresno. The trolley which passed the Meux home was their transportation downtown. It would stop for them, but they never bothered paying fare. Father paid up at the end of the month.
Thanks to Anne’s occupying the old mansion in its original form, we have the history-steeped mansion built in 1889 today.
(no pictures available)
Edna Cooper Meux
Edna was born in Fresno in 1886, the daughter of Dr. and Mrs. John Cooper. He was one of the signers of the original Fresno City Chapter. Edna graduated from Fresno High and Miss Head's School for Girls in Berkeley.
She had two children, William C. Meux, Fresno attorney and daughter Anne Siegfried.
Mrs. Meux was a communicant of St. James Episcopal Cathedral, a subscriber for seventy years to the Fresno Musical Club, a member of the Fresno Relief Society and the Fresno Garden Club.
The home on U Street was built in 1907 when she and John W. Meux moved in as bride and bridegroom. Meux, a rancher and land appraiser, died in 1952 and Mrs. Meux continued to live in the home.
Mrs. Meux died in May 1974 and was buried in Belmont Memorial Park.